Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Rocking Horse II

  Rocking Horse II was this past weekend. Wexford was doing Preliminary and Galway was doing the Advanced. Friday was Dressage and Show Jumping for the upper levels. Saturday was cross country day for Training up through Advanced.
  Wexford was first to go out of my two horses on Friday. He had one of his best test in all of our time competing together. For show jumping we had an unfortunate rail but he jump great everywhere else. On Saturday, Wexford finished up cross country with a double clear to get 7th place! He was super!

  The time had come for me to do Dressage on Galway. We were feeling very relaxed going into our test. While warming up he was being a bit sluggish in his work. I did not think much about it and just kept pushing him forward. He had a nice consistent test for our first Advanced. After taking care of him and putting him back in his stall to rest. We went and had lunch. I went back to check on him and get him ready to show jump, when I found him flat out laying down. I first thought it was cute but realized after checking his temperature he was boiling hot. Hmm... that is definitely not normal! I quickly proceed to go hose him down to get his temperature down and realized he is showing signs of colic. My heart drops and I immidately go get my mom so she can find the vet on grounds. While I continue to cool him out and walk him.
  When the vet had come he said his vitals and heart rate were fine. By that point he had cooled down quite a bit. The vet gave us the go ahead to jump him. We proceed to go up to show jumping with the intentions of  not jumping him if he does not feel good! Galway jumped a super round and had an unfortunate rail. Finishing our round we planned on giving him fluids and oil his stomach to help make him more comfortable.
  Before late night check, I went to go check on him to make sure he was doing ok. Galway still was not feeling good. So we decided to call the vet out again to have her look at him and decide on what to do next. Around twelve o'clock we decided to take him up to Ocala and have the vets at Peterson and Smith equine hopsital work with him. The doctors at P&S were very helpful and made us feel at ease.
  We are pleased to say that Galway did not need surgery and he came home Monday afternoon! :)
Thank you to everyone for your prayers and conserns! The eventing community is definitely the best there is! :)
  If both horses continue to stay healthy. We will do Rocking Horse III and then head back home after the event to Tulsa, Oklahoma.

 Until next time! Go Eventing!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment